Friday, November 30, 2007

Age no concern for Sir Bob

A slice of history was made in the early hours of Friday morning when Sir Bob Charles became the oldest player, at 71, to make the cut in a European Tour event. He also became the first player to beat his age by three shots - a remarkable achievement but one that very nearly didn't happen.
The 1963 Open champion came within a whisker of missing his tee-time, having turned up at the 1st only to realise he should have been at the 10th.
"I'm entitled to be forgetful at my age. We had to get some transport - we almost had to put a gun to a guy's head to get us there and we only got to the first tee with 30 seconds to spare."
Charles is only playing as a favour to the organisers and his friend, the course owner Michael Hill, but opened with a birdie two, added two more at 17 and 18, and then eagled the par-five 1st.
A loss of concentration and resulting double-bogey, due to a low-flying helicopter, followed at the 6th but more birdies were plundered at the 7th and 9th.
He added: "I didn't want to come here and embarrass myself. The competition does get me fired up and the way the golf course set-up helped me considerably.
"The old adrenaline starts to flow with the competition and I almost felt 30 years younger today. It's something which I enjoy and get a lot of pride from.”
Special mention also to Australian Steven Jeffres who recorded the first albatross of the season by holing-in-one with a driver on the 332-yard 15th.
By Mark Townsend

No comments: