Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sandy's mad moment

I CAN'T help feeling that an hour after he walked off the course, sandy Lyle will have started regretting his decision to turn his back on the Open Championship 2008.
After a hot shower and a stiff drink, I'm convinced the former Open champion will have looked out of the window at his fellow competitors battling the conditions and wished he had still been out there trying to do the same.
And I think that's what he should have done. I have always been a fan of Sandy's but walking out of the Open Championship, one of the biggest events a golfer can be involved in, is in my opinion wrong.
Most are never lucky enough to have the opportunity to play in The Open. Sandy, being a past champion is invited to play each year. Fine - but please treat the invitation with more respect.
The conditions on the opening day were miserable but that IS the Open Championship after all. When the going got tough Sandy opted for the locker room.
He'll be back next year and I'm sure he'll want to make amends. In some people's eyes that will take a lot of doing.
Indeed, it might just be the end of his already shaky candidacy for the Ryder Cup captaincy. I hope not - but it was still a mad moment from a very likeable and popular golfer.
By Luke Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think luke kelly is qualified to write this. He's not been in that situation to my knowledge so can't imagine what its like to be 11 over after 9. sandy is a legend

Anonymous said...

so what your more botherd about is luke kelly not Sandy!did the person who left this comment even see what he did yesturday?
GROW UP