Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Wet wet wet


I’VE been the butt of many jokes in the NCG offices so far this year. Nothing new in that I suppose, but this time it has surrounding the lack of time I’ve spent on the course in 2008. Usually I’m getting stick for disappearing for three days on urgent business which simply has to be conducted on a collection of Irish links.

However the extensive surgery which has been conducted on my swing has meant I’ve not been as eager to take to the course this year. A Bank Holiday weekend meant I could resist the urge no more, albeit there were no NCG colleagues within a 200-mile radius of the venue (I played in Scotland).

The morning was notable for two things: a) that I was right to delay any intra-NCG action and b) how my equipment coped with the horrendous weather. It was absolutely throwing it down and, combined with a stiff breeze, made for exacting conditions (which provided a ready excuse).

What was remarkable was the fact that as I peeled away the layers in the clubhouse at Colvend following our round, I was totally dry. A few thank-yous are therefore in order. First, well done Nike for producing shoes which genuinely are waterproof. Don’t forget it was only a decade ago when such a claim was, frankly, a lie.

Secondly, to Galvin Green. With due respect to the likes of Proquip and Cross, both of whom offer terrific waterproof garments, GG kit is simply brilliant. Waterproof AND lightweight – a fabulous combination.

I knew most of that already though. What was a real surprise was the way my gloves coped. It was the first time I’d worn Nomis gloves and it was a revelation. I’d heard good things from NCG’s equipment editor (who gets all the goodies first) but had never had the pleasure.

Quite simply, if you are known to find yourself playing in rain (i.e. everyone) invest in a pair of these. I say pair, because, finding myself the owner of a right and a left, I ended up doubling up. I might have looked like Petr Cech but I could thrash a fairway wood out of the soggy rough and remain in contact with the club. Very surprising.

It left me thinking that any fair-weather golfers ought to be ashamed of themselves. There really is no excuse these days (and yes, that is a dig aimed at NCG’s Advertising Manager!)

Chris Bertram (not pictured)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to buy Nomis Gloves then we do actually have a special offer on our website " buy one get one free ".Buy online or order buy phone.

Gary
Commercial Manager