Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bouncing back


As someone who is always on the look-out to find new ways of improving their short game I genuinely believe last week was a watershed moment in my golfing career.

Most golfers are hopeful of turning three shots into two when they get within 50 yards of the green - I am looking to turn four, sometimes five, into three. Frustrating doesn't even come close as a variety of thins, fats, dunches, tops and the occasional J Arthur leave me a quivering wreck and, more often than not, diving for the putter.

Until now. The last few days have seen a dramatic turnaround in my chipping, not out on the course, but off the tight, firm lies of the office carpet. Think Turnberry 1977 and you're nearly there. Despite possessing all manner of dreadful shots around the greens the majority tend to be nervy, proddy thins which usually result in an embarassing traipse across the other side of the green into knee-high bushes.

Thanks to MD Golf there has not been one lethal clang into the radiator at work, more a succession of sweetly-struck (deft even) chips straight into the heart of the Putt 360. Ireland's Norman Drew was the first man ever to play in the Walker, Ryder and World Cups and the Northern Irish equipment manufacturers have used his renowned short-game expertise to create some sublime wedges.

The thinking is that too many wedges have too much bounce and are therefore easier to thin, thus the low bounce Players Series range which will help to put an end to even the gravest of chipping concerns. Of course much of it is down to confidence but the first time I got this particular weapon in my hands I was actually looking forward to making contact with the ball. Something that has not happened since 1992.

By Mark Townsend

They are available in lofts of 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 and will only set you back £49.99. For more information visit www.mdgolf.co.uk or call 02894 460 333.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow gibbering wreck around the greens found this very handy. Will have a look out for one of these wedges and give it a go!

Anonymous said...

MD Golf's wedges are really good – they're in our pro shop and great value at under £50. My mate got one the other month and he's improved no end.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't matter what you use – it's whose doing the chipping that counts. At least that's what my granddad used to say.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever tried chipping left-handed? It seems to help ease the tension. Takes a bit of practice though...

Anonymous said...

Chipping is the worst part of my game. If anyone can give me any advice I'd be more than grateful. My tendency is to catch the ground first... Help!

Anonymous said...

As a high handicapper and a user of MD irons I have to say they are worth investing in. Needless to say I am not great at golf, especially around the greens but the wedges have great feel and seem very forgiving. I'd recommend them to any high-handicap golfer!

Anonymous said...

The md golf wedges are one of the best on the market,to say they are one of the lesser known brands there kit is second to none.got last years in my bag and if the new ones are as good as them I will be the first in line to purchase them in 2008.

Anonymous said...

Just bought 2 of these to replace worn out Clevelands. Really liked the look; they setup flush to the ground and the finish is impressive. The biggest surprise was the performance, my first 2 shots with the 58 degree wedge spun so hard they came back off the green. Admittedly the greens were soft and the pins near the front but I have never played wedges with this amount of grip, it's incredible!! They will take some getting used to as even 30 and 40 yard pitches stop on a sixpence. I would recommend these to anyone; they are as good as, if not better than, any wedge on the market and half the price!