Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Why sand is under-rated

WE spend a lot of time dissecting whether the greens we are playing on are any good. Fairways also come in for some critical attention too at times. Tee boxes aren’t immune from comment.
Not enough focus is put on sand in my opinion though.
That thought occurred to me as I played at my favourite Bank Holiday retreat, Colvend in South West Scotland, over the weekend.
On finding a trap and jumping into the bunker I actually relished splashing out in the expectation I might well get the ball to within six feet of the flag.
The reason was simply that the sand in the bunker was gloriously white, fluffy and fine. Anyone lacking confidence out of sand should seek Colvend out because a few shots out of its bunkers will sort them out.
Of course, Colvend is fortunate. One of the nicest beaches in Scotland – Sandy Hills – is just five minutes drive away.
One can’t help but imagine club officials loading up trailer full after trailer full at Sandy Hills and dispersing in its bunkers.
However it got there, everyone playing Colvend should be grateful. Its bunkers put to shame some very, very prestigious names I’ve played at this year.
By Chris Bertram

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you Chris!

Being a high handicapper I dread the thought of having to manoeuvre my way out of a bunker! When the sand is white, fluffy and fine, as you describe it, I tend not to have a problem. It's when I reach the trap to find the sand is wet, hard and flat, with no way to get under the ball, that I encounter my problems! I have always been told to hit the sand about 6 inches before the ball to "splash" out with control but how the hell do you do this with the poor standard of sand we find nowadays?? Maybe one day golf club's will make a note of this and sort the problem. By the sounds of it they all need to take a leaf out of Colvend's book!

Anonymous said...

Shameless!