Thursday, January 31, 2008

Poulter: Yes or no?

Ian Poulter has never been one to shy away from a bit of publicity. Every Open Championship we are all treated to his wild and wacky wardrobe for a couple of days before everyone loses interest and life carries on as normal.

Perhaps his self-confidence is the main reason he is one of the top 25 players in the world, and therefore how he needs to be to perform at his best, but this week he appeared to have really excelled himself.

In a recent interview with Golf World he is reported to have said: "The trouble is I don't rate anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone who is a professional. But the problem is I haven't played to my full potential yet. And when that happens it will just be me and Tiger."

He then supposedly went on to predict that Woods would win the Masters and that he himself would pick up the US Open (to be fair he is probably 50 per cent right).

Needless to say Poulter has since claimed that he was misquoted and it's not often that I would say this but I do feel a bit sorry for the Englishman. He is too outspoken at times, and plenty of us aren't overly keen on anyone with so much bravado, but he is also mischievous and it is unlikely that anybody could be that deluded.

Poulter offered his thoughts after an opening 70 in Dubai: "I have had it on my mind since last night. You put the internet on and it's THE (golf) story. I have to try and explain the situation of how it was actually said, as opposed to how it has been written. Two very different themes.

"That's how it has come out but that's not how it was said and that's a shame...a great shame. You let people in your house for three hours and you do a nice, private interview and this is what happens. Very unfortunate."

True to form he also added that getting to number two in the world was a real possibility. Getting a place in this year's Ryder Cup team should be enough to concern him for the next few months.

By Mark Townsend

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I feel a little bit of sympathy for Poulter I wouldn't be surprised if he did say what he was quoted as saying.
That said, it will be interesting to see if he does ever get close to the top of the rankings. I actually think he'll break into the top 10 this year.

Anonymous said...

beware of reporters

Anonymous said...

Poults,

Think before engaging your brain!!Reporters are evil just look at poor brittney spears!
PS Ian where did you finish at the weekend ? And do you think your number 2 status is under threat for 2008.

Anonymous said...

If I were Poulter I'd never give another interview again until I was world No 2 and had won at least three Majors. Then I would thank them from the heart of my bottom, like Faldo did all those years ago.

Anonymous said...

The guy is a preening ponce. End of. He's quite happy to take publicity for his dreadful clothes but bleets as soon as he is 'misquoted'. What a cock

Anonymous said...

PENIS!

Anonymous said...

the guy is a poofy little pretty boy. Forget the gay clothes and concentrate on become a serious contender poulter or should that be poofter?